Friday, May 18, 2012

cheers!

(from here)
Let me just tell you, closing on a place and having a birthday all within a week and half was the best accidental sequence of events I could have ever planned. Everyone is being so nice to me. And while acquiring a mortgage is one of the most intimidating things I've ever done, and has fanned the tiny flickering flames of commitment phobia, everyone I know is congratulating me as if I just climbed Mt. Everest or something similarly awesome. 

Don't get me wrong, I'm excited about the whole thing (although to be honest, having lived in the apartment for three weeks now, it seems a little anti-climactic), but it feels so wrong to accept all this praise for something that mostly required a lot of signatures. And don't even get me started on the guilt complex over everyone wanting to buy me a drink or lunch or the like. Just for signing a piece of paper (or a million)!

But, the celebratory spirit is contagious, and I'm definitely in that "puppy love" phase. You know, when you first meet someone new and think that person is the best thing since Google and you walk around smiling like a total goof ball? Yeah, eventually that wears off (especially if you meet the kind of men I do), but while you're in that phase, it is awesome and all-consuming. And that's where I'm at with home ownership. I just want to run around shouting "I finally live in DC! And I love it! So much more than I expected to love it! And I don't have to pay rent anymore!"

I suspect this enthusiasm will spill over and make for the best Jenny-Sophie joint birthday party yet. We apologize in advance to anyone who encounters the twelfth annual celebration this weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment