Sunday, March 11, 2012

selection sunday

Look, it's in the 60s and the first day of springing ahead and all that comes with it, and yes, I should definitely be outside. But I had an exhausting weekend, and, it's selection Sunday. Therefore after spectating at a St. Patty's day 8k, having a bottomless mimosa brunch, and watching a few basketball games with good friends/good beer, I think it's ok to park my behind on my couch, watch the brackets unfold, and consume some carbs to offset all that day drinking. Or at least that's what I'm telling myself. 


And, to be fair, I haven't exactly just been sitting around, I've also been cleaning and trying my hand at making sorbet. Since I won't know for a few hours how that went, I think I'm finally ready to talk about the traumatizing focaccia incident from last weekend.


In anticipation of a potential (Italian-centric) dinner party my friend and I may be throwing, I wanted to make a test batch of focaccia. Serendipitously, I found a new blog that I really like, and the author happened to have made just that. You'll have to drool over her photo (below), because I was far too shattered by the relentless screeching of the smoke alarm to properly photography my own loaf. 



I think I let mine bake just a few minutes too long, and didn't flatten it out enough in the original shaping of the dough stage, so it was darker and puffier than Technicolor Kitchen's take. I also used dried sage in lieu of fresh, because that's what I had on hand, although I honestly don't think that had a significant or negative impact on the flavor. I've thought about giving it another go, and most likely will, but perhaps in someone else's less alarm-prone kitchen.

Now it's time to fill out a bracket, and try (in vain, I'm sure) to bank up some energy for the marathon week (month?) ahead. Happy March madness, everyone!

  

No comments:

Post a Comment