Monday, September 12, 2011

the weekend waffle routine

I always go to sleep Friday night really looking forward to the idea of sleeping in. After a week of 5:30am alarms and the subsequent mad dash to get from bed to bus in less than an hour, sleeping until after the sun rises is all I want to do. 

But then, some time before 7am Saturday (or Sunday), I wake up, look at my phone to check the time, and hatefully curse my inability to sleep in. I think it's partially because my body is so used to waking up at 5:30. It's also due in large part to two highly obnoxious noises that are completely out of my control. One is the garbage truck that picks up my building's trash before 7am on Saturdays. The other is the barrage of flights that depart from Reagan beginning around 5:30 every day. Five days a week, that doesn't bother me, as I'm already up. The other two days, it is obscenely obnoxious to be woken up before 6 by the roar of jet engines. 

So normally around 7, I finally give in to the non-stop departures and the extreme hunger I seem to develop overnight. And without fail, I open the fridge to discover that I've run out of milk. Which leaves waffles as my only option for breakfast (or breakfast in my apartment, anyways). 
I'm not very fancy when it comes to waffle prep, so usually they're made from the Aunt Jemima boxed mix ("just add water" is highly appealing when your overnight hunger is raging out of control). But the really sad part of the whole process is my waffle iron....


It's not even that old, it's just cheap and falling the heck apart. I can't really expect much, as it was a bargain (for a mere $10) at Target a couple years ago. But it barely crisps up the weekend (chocolate chip) waffles....


So I think it's time to suck it up and think about buying a new one (or adding it to my Christmas list), because I like my consolatory 7am waffles cripsy, dang it.



No comments:

Post a Comment