Friday, August 19, 2011

some like it hot

I'm still very much captivated by Fiona (the new ice cream maker), and I'm constantly looking for new recipes to try.  I'm accumulating quite a collection of flavors in my freezer as we speak.  So when Allie suggested we try ciocolato con peperoncino for Sunday dinner, naturally I was quick to jump on board, even if it meant further freezer crowding.  


The flavor was one we first tried in Venice at our favorite gelateria (Il Doge, in case you happen to be planning a visit soon...and you should).  While I nearly always bought mint or straciatella, I gamely tried Allie's chocolate with red pepper once, and found it intriguing.  And by intriguing, I mean spicy. 


So I combed google for recipes, and ended up using this one, and adding about half a teaspoon of red pepper.  I honestly couldn't tell you how it turned out though, because in a very very rare moment in my life, I was not even the tiniest bit hungry between lunch last night and breakfast this morning.  It smells (and looks) good, though...


Next I plan to try a recipe that's curiously named "jacked up cookies and cream." The oreos are coated in melted chocolate before being broken up and added to the vanilla ice cream. As if that weren't quite ridiculous enough, you add a swirl of dulce de leche.  I'm supposed to be giving it to friends, but we'll see how much (if any) of it makes it out of my apartment!


Yolky's first use was a great success!

 I'm still working on gracefully navigating the egg-cooking aspect...

 It still blows my mind that this soupy mess...

 ...becomes this deliciousness!

That's all for now, but I'm working from home today, so, you could very well see more from me later on when the cabin fever sensation really sets in...

2 comments:

  1. Hi Jenny! I love my ice cream maker so much that I give them as wedding gifts (even to people who don't have it on their registries!). I am dying to try cake batter ice cream. I am pretty sure all you do is add yellow cake mix to a standard vanilla base, but google some recipes if you're interested. And I cannot recommend Giada's Nutella Gelato enough either. I skip the whole hazelnut business for simplicity's sake, but it is to DIE for.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum, both sound amazing--I'll have to google! I just gave the "jacked up cookies and cream" a whirl, and although I had a total dulce de leche fail, it otherwise seems like a success. I have a friend getting married soon, so I might just have to steal your idea...

    ReplyDelete